Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Covering Crime

So I have to say...this web reading was probably the most interesting thus far for me. Especially since last night I spent four hours riding around in an Ithaca City Police car.
Chapter One-The Crime Beat:
I thought it was really interesting how the author explained the writing for the crime beat automatically has the ability to produce great stories. I guess I never thought of it that way -- like the article said, its got everything: sex, violence, rage, revenge, victims, and occasionally happy endings. There's a reason why so many top TV shows in America are based off of police crime stories -- audiences like it and are interested. The same goes for news stories of the same genre.

I also didn't know that the crime beat was something I should be expecting as a more than likely job placement my first years out of the fish tank. The whole idea that the beat was used as a "sink or swim" technique was surprising to me. But I'm glad the author explained that so I could be prepared.

I also agreed with the whole "cops are leery of journalists and journalists are leery of cops" idea. Last night while riding along with one of Ithaca's finest (and funniest for that matter) he glanced at my notebook on more than one occasion and asked, "What are you writing in that thing?" Just a small example but I thought it portrayed that sentiments behind what the author was trying to explain.

The section discussing how this beat produces the most error in reporting was also an important fact to bring up. Most reporters, including myself, don't know the deference between larceny, theft and robbery. When I looked at the definitions it surprised me how easy it would be for a reporter to make one slip-up like that in a story.

I was also interested in the idea of creating a good source relationship with the police one might be working with on the beat. How do you keep a good standing with the police if you have to write a story unveiling some problems the department might be having. You of course can't always paint them in a positive light because that wouldn't be fair and accurate reporting. But if you produce an "anti-cop" story how do you keep the main sources of your beat talking to you? Something to think about...and worry about slightly...

I also appreciated the 12 questions included as something every journalist should keep near-by when working on a crime story. That is something I will definitely use throughout my career. The ideas for what to keep in your trunk were also great tips. But I have to ask, how do I get a media flack jacket...?

Chapter Five-Covering Crime and Its Victims

This chapter was helpful in navigating the ever uncomfortable world of interviewing victims. I have never had to do that for a story yet...but I know how uncomfortable I get sometimes just asking an older woman her age...how the heck do you talk to someone who just had something terrible happen to themselves or their family? Geezz...

I liked the key things that a reporter needs to have when covering crime: perspective, persistence and patience. Very true. I thought the tips from the Detroit reporter on how to get a source to talk to you were very helpful. The idea that rushing up to join the pack of reporters at the scene is not a good idea. But if you wait patiently, slip your card and number to the victim, and then wait awhile until you contact them again -- this could possibly give you a better story than if you had joined the pack of dogs searching for scraps of a quote. I also think this approach is more ethical on a human level.

One point of confusion though...how is a woman walking alone at night compared to a prostitute as a "high-risk victim"? Hmmm...chew on that one for awhile...I know I did.

Also, in the end of the chapter it discusses the use of rape victims' names in a news story. Previous practice has always been to never report the name of someone who has been raped. I agree with this practice. It is our job as journalists to inform the public of potential danger but also to minimize individual harm as much as possible. The author says that there is a growing trend from journalists my age pushing for the names to be printed if the victim agrees. They believe this will help fight off the stigma that surrounds rape victims and shed light on a taboo subject. Rape will always be taboo to me, yes I want to do whatever I can to prevent it from happening, but I don't believe making it more "conversational" will help that from being accomplished.

Chapter Seven- Covering the Courts

Surprisingly this chapter was a lot of fun for me. As I mentioned before I was a possible legal studies minor until I realized how time consuming writing those stinkin' briefs can be! But I do have a huge appreciation for reporters who cover the courts.

Many do it without having any legal training. I thought this chapter did a very good job of explaining the basics to someone who was brand new to the beat.

One of the most important things the author touched on was the duty of the reporter to turn the legal briefs into everyday human language that the average reader could understand. This is EXTREMELY difficult! These briefs can be hundreds of pages long, all written in lawyer mumbo-jumbo (that's a technical term in case you didn't know.) But it is the writer's job to condense this information and present it in an accurate but understandable manner.

I also liked the section of "you never know..." Being respectful to everyone is what gains you good sources. The example given of the janitor's helping the author find missing files was an excellent one. Being rude to a court clerk could come back to bite you in the...well you know. I think this is something young journalists should be reminded of. And use in all aspects of journalism and life...because you just never know...

Lastly I thought the list of possible sources was very helpful. For instance, I didn't know that a bailiff was a good source of information. But if you think about it they do have access to the behind the scenes stuff that reporters are banned from. A good tip!

Overall I think that this website is something that I will be frequenting often, and will use if and when I get assigned the "crime beat."

No comments: