Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Political Wrap-up

When I first started my journalism career here at Ithaca College I'll admit it, I was a New York City snob who couldn't relate to people who had never lived there themselves. Boy was I in for a rude awakening.

And so I surged ahead in my narrow-mindedness and read the New York Times daily at the praises of my politics professor Marty (a local legend by the way). When one day in the throws of my research for my thesis paper on Hillary Clinton last semester I spoke with politics professor that turned my Manhattan world upside down. She asked me if I read the Washington Post, because after all I was asking her questions about Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign. I answered an indignant "no," (oh what a stupid girl I was) and she proceeded to chastise me for not reading the best newspaper for politics.

I have to say that once I saw the light...I've never really turned back.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the New York Times just as much today. But lately I find myself perusing the Washington Post website more often than not. When it comes to politics they just get it, especially for online journalism. Their comprehensive articles encompass not only what is going on in the Presidential campaign but what it all means for the average reader. They also use so many graphs and photographs that the page lights up when you go to it. Currently they have a large map of the United States to help explain the dates of the ever changing primaries -- very helpful and fun to use.

My other favorite part of the campaign coverage by the Washington Post is their section called On the Trail: A Daily Dairy of Campaign 2008. This is a great section of their coverage that has multiple reporters out on the actual campaign trail following around the presidential hopefuls. What a job! My only concern with this is the possibility of the reporter/candidate relationship being compromised. But in the long run I think I can fully trust the professionals at the Post to give me completely unbiased and accurate information. It's a great way to get fast and interesting information about any candidate.

And of course -- my third favorite thing about the Post's presidential coverage is Mr. Dan Balz. My rock star of journalism. I look forward to reading his articles in the section On the Campaign Trail, as he rides the circus with Hillary Clinton. It's not an easy job covering the former First Lady, but maybe that is why I like him so much. He does such a good job at not letting her get away with anything, but also treating her with a fairness that isn't always granted to her.

Overall I just wanted to say that I'm currently working hard to figure out the best way to land myself an internship at the Washington Post -- so if you know anyone who can help me out I would greatly appreciate it! (Nothing wrong with a shameless plug now and then....)

No comments: